First Christian Church of Abilene, TX



For a year or two prior to the organization of First Christian Church, individuals had been meeting from house to house, and in that way keeping together. In 1884 Major Penn, a Baptist evangelist, held a meeting in Abilene, Texas at which time several families were stirred into action. This resulted in J.A. Lord of Missouri, calling a meeting to organize the new church. In 1885, when Abilene was still a frontier town, Mr. Lord held a revival meeting in the courthouse, and First Christian Church of Abilene was organized.

Mrs. Thos. Porter Mrs. T.J. Edins, Sr. Miss May Darnell (nee Ella Porter) Mr. Z.T. Peck Mrs. A.L. Harle For about a year after its organization the church was kept going largely through the efforts of Mrs. E. Evans, President; Miss May Darnell, Secretary and Treasurer; and Mrs. T.J. Edins, Sr., as President of the young Ladies Aid Society. Between the times of the organization, 1885 to 1886, the Church met for services in the schoolhouse located on the corner of North Third and Cedar Streets. Sometime in 1886, Brother A.J. Bush held a meeting for the church in a small building at the corner of North Third and Hickory Streets, borrowed from the Presbyterians. Following this meeting, the church bought that property with about $1,000.00 down payment, which was made by the Ladies Aid Society. The congregation worshipped in this small building of about 30’ X 60’ until about 1902, at which time a large and commodious auditorium was erected as an addition to the old structure. The congregation occupied this building until it was destroyed by fire in 1921 along with all church records. Members recalled that the church was being prepared for a service of baptism. A gas stove was lighted to warm the building when the stove exploded, setting the fire. Thereafter the congregation met at the Mission Theatre, downtown, until the new building was completed. Fortunately the congregation had already started building a new modern sanctuary, on the old Cresswell corner at North Third and Orange Streets in 1921. That property was purchased February 17,1921. The cornerstone of the church building was laid December 18, 1921, and now is in place at the Northeast corner of the Fellowship Building.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.

In December of 1921, when the cornerstone of the new church was laid, a “century box” was placed in the cornerstone, to be opened in 100 years, in the year 2021. Curiosity must have overcome the congregation, as the cornerstone was opened twenty-five years later in 1946. All contents were removed; copies made and records brought up to date. Then all contents were replaced and returned to the cornerstone location to again be opened in 2021. The old church was torn down in 1970, the box removed, church history was updated and the century box was placed in the southwest corner of the present sanctuary.